Thank you for your support of Christian home education in California. We could not do this work without you! This year, your gifts enabled CHEA to:
- Co-host Capitol Day and Leadership Conference in Sacramento
- Host the 34th Annual Christian Home Educators Convention
- Host the 34th Annual Leadership Conference
- Give a scholarship
- Hold a graduation
- Do career planning events
- Co-Sponsor Pastor’s Appreciation event to help raise awareness of private Christian homeschooling to those in the pulpit.
- Co-sponsor writing seminar
- Conduct homeschool Information meetings
- Provide homeschool Days at Dodger Stadium
- And more.
This may sound like it was business as usual. Some of it is not. 2017 has also been a year of changes:
- March saw our venerated founder, Susan Beatty’s retirement.
- In August, we turned 35!
- In November we moved from our office suite. CHEA had corporate offices for more than 20 years. Now we’ve fully joined the digital age and transitioned to all staff working remotely from home offices.
- This included transitioning from an on-site server to a cloud-based server.
Of all the things we did this year, I think I am most proud of the Capitol Day and Leadership Conference we co-hosted with Family Protection Ministries in February. It was a year in the making, but well worth it. We were able to visit every state legislator’s office and talk about the importance of protecting parent’s rights to direct the education and upbringing of their children.
With your support, here’s what we’d like to do in 2018:
- This next convention will be our 35th Annual. We plan to have a grand celebration to mark the occasion! Look for some new programs and new faces that will better serve the new generation of homeschoolers. We want this event to be our best yet.
- Begin working with Family Protection Ministries on the next Capitol Day and Leadership Conference in Sacramento where homeschoolers and their leaders will meet our legislature to create positive relationships with our representatives in Sacramento.
- Develop YouTube channel to foster advocacy and raise awareness that protects parents rights to homeschool privately and bring encouraging online content and “how-to teach” instructional videos into homeschool families’ homes.
- Develop a promotional video for CHEA and the work we do to help homeschoolers.
- Update our digital properties.
- Plus all that we did in 2017, minus the move and major retirements, of course.
You may notice a more targeted focus on advocacy to this year’s “wish list.” As you know, both federal and state legislatures, and public school authorities are constantly seeking ways to take our parental rights away thinking they know what’s best for our children. We need to stay strong and banded together to preserve our hard-fought homeschool freedoms.
As California’s only statewide advocacy group for private Christian home education, it is CHEA’s privilege to utilize our knowledge and more than 35 years of experience to:
- Provide resources and events that help California families homeschool
- Partner with other organizations to preserve your right to direct the education and upbringing of your children free from government intervention.
Together we can keep private Christian homeschooling alive in California. In fact, your gifts can help it thrive. Consider a generous year-end gift to ensure this organization continues to serve future generations. Your children and grandchildren will thank you.
We realize that there are many ‘asks’ of you at this time of year, so your consideration is appreciated. Your assistance in passing this letter along to friends, family, or business associates who may be able to help would also be helpful. Thank you for your participation in our mission to continue with CHEA’s important work.
We are grateful for your prayers as we stand firm in the battle for homeschool freedom. See our blog post: Private Christian Homeschooling at Risk.
Homeschooling can be hard work, and it’s easy to feel like we’re all alone on a crazy journey. CHEA keeps us connected to people, resources, and inspiration. CHEA was there for our parents when they were figuring out homeschooling, and we’re thankful it’s here for us!
Andrew, homeschool dad of two
“CHEA is the backbone of private homeschooling in California.
We at FPM can only make a difference in Sacramento defending the right to homeschool if families are working together with us in an organized manner. CHEA provides the infrastructure for that to happen. CHEA has been working to network and support private Christian homeschool families since 1982. FPM has depended on that network to defend the rights of homeschool families throughout California. The survival of FPM, and the work that we do, depends upon the continuation of that work. Every homeschool family in California benefits from the work that CHEA does.”
Nathan Pierce, Legislative Liaison & California Director of Family Protection Ministries
CHEA has been essential in advancing the fundamental God-given right of parents to direct the education of children. They have been a significant sponsor of the Family Protection Ministries’ advocacy efforts before the California legislature to protect and preserve homeschool freedom. Through their annual conferences and regional conferences, they provide a forum to educate the homeschool community on the importance of protecting homeschooling. In partnership with FPM and HSLDA, they have informed their constituency, when necessary, to contact the legislature to advocate on behalf of homeschooling freedom. And, through their website and other publications, they have educated the homeschool community on the importance of participating in the battle to preserve the freedom to homeschool in California.
Mike Smith, President, Home School Legal Defense Association